It took a couple days of brief sightings to ID this new visitor to our yard. Finally, I got a glimpse of its left side, exposing a tiny patch of feathers that gave it away–a juvenile Rufous-sided Towhee.
Here is a picture (not a very good one) of another that visited in 2015. There seems to be some confusion regarding the Eastern Towhee and Rufous-sided Towhee, whether they are actually two different towhees, or one and the same.
1. Finally! Life returns to normal. As I sit snuggled in my recliner, I realize I’ve taken for granted the peace that surrounds me day-to-day. This week my world quaked as the old furnace in the hall closet and ductwork, which have been part of this house for 50 years, were disassembled and ripped out by two fast-moving men. In and out and underneath the house, back and forth from room to room–I just tried to stay out of their way. The new unit resides outside, thereby making the indoors much quieter. An unexpected blessing, to be sure.
2. A big thanks to Dianna at These Days of Mine, I finally saw the International Space Station last night! Recently, she posted a link where one could sign up to receive a text message when the ISS could be viewed in one’s area.
3. The SSAT–Stamp Scrap and Art Tour will be in Hampton, VA this weekend. I haven’t attended the last couple of years, but might hop on over there. Anyone else going? Has anyone attended a different venue?
4. A female Eastern Towhee stopped by for a snack. My last Towhee sighting was in June, a juvenile male.
5. I’ve seen more sunrises this week than I have in several years. No, I’m not a morning person. It was nice to sleep in this morning.