Cee’s a bit under the weather this week, so there’s no Share Your World post. I’ll still be sharing my world with you, though, random as it might be.
A pair of Mallard ducks stop by for dinner, a little wading, a bit of a snooze, and then they’re off again until the next evening.
We hoped to visit “the kids” this past weekend, but our grandson tested positive for the flu earlier in the week. By Saturday, Z and Suzanne weren’t feeling well, and the number of patients in “quarantine” increases almost daily.
I finally got Suzanne’s birthday present made, and I’d love to share it with you–but I don’t want her to see it here first.
Hubby took his first-ever personal day off from work today. Too bad he had to work on a plumbing issue! Suzanne says he really knows how to enjoy a personal day.
Today was near 70F (21C). I filled feeders and put fresh water in the birdbaths (much needed after the ducks visited). Then I saw the pile of leaves I’d raked off one of the beds last week, so I bagged those. Container plants needed water. A lovely specimen of Spiny Sow Thistle sprung up next to the HVAC unit–nearly a foot tall, so I took that out before it multiplied. The Loropetalum and Spirea needed light pruning where the frost bit them. It’s amazing how many things one can find to do outside on a pretty day.
It’s been awhile since I’ve done this. I hope I can come up with five things of interest since I’ve been goofing off flat on my back for a few days.
1. 2017 did NOT start out as I envisioned. By this time this week, I expected to have half the year’s goals marked off my list! What list? Seems I neglected to make one. OOPS. I made a mental note of it. (We all know how THAT works out.)
2. I envisioned watching the Denver Broncos defend their title throughout the play-off season–which is about to begin, and they didn’t even make it. So sad.
3. Taylor returned from Guatemala on Christmas eve, and we spent a couple days with the family. We had a lovely Christmas, and no one had to visit the ER this year.
4. Kai-Le celebrated her birthday four days before Christmas, Caedyn turned 12(!) yesterday, and Jae turns ten tomorrow. Today is Gotcha Day, the celebration of the day Kai-Le’s parents and siblings traveled to China and “got” her. We’re all so glad they did! I envisioned spending these days of celebration with them. Since they homeschool, they make their own holiday calendar.
5. I missed watching the birds at my kitchen window this week. Can you imagine my delight when I finally wandered downstairs and saw Eastern Bluebirds at my feeder? They have NEVER visited in the nine years I’ve been feeding birds. Now if I can just get decent pictures of them!
There’s a lot of unsettled weather in many areas, so stay safe out there. I saw a forecast model that shows 10+ inches of snow for our area. That should shut us down until about June.
It’s been awhile since I’ve participated with this meme. There’s been little time for visiting, so I hesitate to link-up. Maybe this week will be better.
1. Things are nutty as ever around the Big Backyard. Squirrelly, too!
2. Uh-oh! What’s this?
The Carolina Wren appears to have laid claim to the potting bench.
3. We’ve had some frosty nights, yet I continue to find little surprises in the garden.
4. It rained nearly all day. Of course, this was the day I needed a few things from the grocery store. I brewed a chocolate hazelnut latte for the road and made an afternoon of it. Since I had to be out anyway, I returned some items to the mall that I’d ordered online. They’d been crushed during shipment due to poor packaging. And, I stopped by Hobby Lobby since I was in the neighborhood. Take that, rain!
5. I don’t have the Christmas tree up yet, nor the wreath on the door, no cards ready to mail–but I do have most of the shopping done. Then there’ll be wrapping to do…How are your winter holiday preparations coming along?
Willy Nilly Friday 5 #92 (on Tuesday-if I type fast)
Unable to link to Tanya’s blog, I’ve been remiss on randomness.
1. I haven’t been roaming the countryside (or city) much this summer, it seems it’s either too hot or stormy. However, I feel like I’m getting some (long-neglected) things done around the house. Hopefully, one day it will be evident!
2. The last two mornings I’ve seen this when I came downstairs and looked out the kitchen window. Gosh, I’m a sucker for my furry friends. Peanut delivery coming right up! The mama bunny visited over the weekend, and Little Bun (from a previous post) has a sibling!
3. Pigeons were out in force when I put cracked corn and millet on their platform feeder. There’s usually a little something on there for my squirrel buddies, too. This youngster seems intimidated by the pigeons, opting to watch from afar. It’s hanging on the feeder pole, ready to duck into the shelter of the squirrel baffle that keeps them away from the feeders.
4. I may be the last person on the planet to own one of these, but I stumbled onto this one in the clearance section at Hobby Lobby, and, well, as they say, the rest is history. A good bit of time was spent procuring accessories for it. It die-cuts, embosses (even with metal stencils!), and texturizes card stock. Some of the rubber stamp companies are branching out into dies that complement their stamps. Now I need to win the lottery. $$
5. Looking forward to a hair cut in the morning and lunch with a friend.
1. It seems like forever since I’ve written a random post – and I don’t even know what this one is about, yet! Does that count as one thought?
2. We spent two days at Colonial Williamsburg last week, and walked over six miles each day – according to my Fitbit. I took very few photos, most of them were of the flower gardens and fences.
3. Last summer I bought a “succulent tile” at Lowe’s to put in an empty terra cotta container. This spring they have tiny yellow blossoms!
4. It rained 2/3 of the past weekend. I haven’t taken any bird photos for days! A beautiful Blue Jay visited this afternoon. You’ll have to take my word for it. Where was my camera when I needed it! I am totally discombobulated! I will share the High Mallow, instead.
5. I’m really excited to go for my annual mammogram tomorrow! Then I’ll be totally discom-boob-ulated. Have a happy day!