Or…I didn’t feel like thinking today.
Or…I didn’t feel like thinking today.
Willy Nilly Friday 5
I had this post written (in my head) but my hard drive must have crashed. Let’s see if I can remember all the randomness I wanted to share this week.
1. Saturday: Breakfast at Panera, then we were off to the Virginia Aquarium and Marine Science Center with a carload of “e-cycling” to get rid of. The parking area across the street from the aquarium is where the drop-off is held. We visited the VA&MSC gift shop while there for an item a friend thought our grandson would like. I found something I liked, too! (Truthfully, there were a LOT of items I liked.) Hubby got this book for me. I look forward to learning and sharing information specific to our area.
2. Sunday afternoon: A friend and I attended a play at The Little Theater of Norfolk. We saw the final performance of The Women, a comedy set in the 1930s, written by Clare Booth Luce.
3. It’s only taken a month, but today I came up with my word for 2016: Snag–as in I’m going to snag every opportunity to explore more city and state parks this year.
4. Today’s weather:
5. Today: I took a 3-hour hike at First Landing State Park. It was the perfect day for it. I’d planned to wash a load of clothes and grill veggies when I got home. The traffic lights were out on our street, which should have been my first warning something was amiss. The electricity was off when I got home, so, no laundry. I lit the grill and proceeded to chop zucchini, yellow squash, sweet onion, yellow and red bell peppers–by hand–on the cutting board–right next to the food processor. Wouldn’t you know? The power came on as I finished the last pepper. They were grilled before sunset, so I didn’t have to finish by flashlight.
How was your weekend?
Monday after Winter Storm Jonas
Jonas was well-behaved in our area. Life returned to normal this morning, following a 2-hour delayed opening for schools.
Here’s a photo taken from my front door late Friday afternoon. The roads stayed wet, I assume they salted them well. If you look closely, you can see the sheen on the new blacktop. The three middle lanes are paved, leaving the outer ones on each side to be done when the weather straightens up. There’s a steep curb up to the top of the new layer, so we can only exit the driveway to the right and go around the block if we need to go the other way.
Was your area impacted by Winter Storm Jonas?
Just hopping by to say HI! I’m writing a devotional this week and hope to return to my regularly-scheduled programming Wednesday. I have a lot of catching up to do! See you soon!
Willy Nilly Friday 5 No. 66
Sharing some randomness today.
1. There’s been a lot of activity on our road lately, road work/dump trucks/noise. Today, we finally figured out what they were preparing to do–milling and paving. Yay, new road soon!
2. I’m missing the White-throated Sparrows this winter. I’ve only seen three. In previous years we’ve had a dozen or more.
3. Why do football play-offs and the warmest day of winter (66*F) happen on the same day? Hubby was weary from a 12-hour workday, Saturday, so we stayed in and watched football.
4. Our Painted Bunting must have moved on. I haven’t seen him since early December.
5. This pigeon is a regular customer. It’s been frequenting our feeder since 2008.
I Should Be…
…looking for my to-do list, because I’m lost without it. Maybe I’m done?
…sleeping, with visions of sugar plums dancing in my head.
…writing a Share Your World post, but Cee gave us the week off.
…hearing the phone ring with an estimate to repair my camera on the other end. Tracking shows it was received Friday morning. Does anyone have experience to share as to how long until that call comes?
…wrapping presents. Could the “elf” be waiting until the last minute?
…working on two gifts that aren’t finished.
…creating blog posts, but I think I’m going to take this week off.
…wishing you all the best in this season of celebrations.
…back Monday, Dec. 28, and will visit you this week as time allows.
Here’s a shot of the project hubby and his brother have been working on. A huge tree on their dad’s property split and fell, crushing one of his sheds.
Tis the season to be busy! Here’s the random catch-up that I didn’t get to on Friday.
1. They weren’t kidding when they described the days of fall and winter as “short.” I think more is missing than just daylight!
2. Saturday brought a beautiful day–perfect for cleaning up the yard and garden. No jackets needed, it is a wonderful memory! And then…Sunday came with the gift of rain and a chill in the air. Today the sun warms and brightens, inviting one to come out and play. Do not be fooled by it! The winds that howled all night still blow, just not as loud. And it’s 40 F, instead of 60. (sniffle)
3. The number of flowers still in bloom surprised me (once I cleared out the dead and decaying bits from the wildflower garden). The lorapetalum blooms now, too.
4. Hubby aggravated his back last month preparing for the new HVAC installation. With that, and the loss of a member of his team at work, he hasn’t been able to accomplish much around the house. Much to my delight, he put my desk back together Sunday, and assembled the new chair. A clean desktop inspires me.
5. When I got the mail (inundated with sale flyers) this morning, a cold gust hit me squarely in the face. Reality set in. I pulled the summer tops and shorts from the closet and replaced them with sweaters and long pants. On the bright side, birds are busy at the feeders! Yellow-rumped Warblers once again contend for rights to the peanut butter, a Tufted Titmouse stops by more often for peanuts, a pair of White-throated Sparrows brings the promise that more are on their way. Maybe autumn isn’t so bad after all. Did I mention Panera Bread has Holiday Bread this season? (Click the link for a peek.)
Linking to Willy Nilly Friday 5