Hurricane Matthew has kept us busy this week as we tried to prepare for the unexpected. Watching. Waiting. Praying for those of you to the south of us who still bear much of the storm’s wrath, may you and your loved ones be safe. We have heavy rain, expecting 8-12 inches with 60 mph wind gusts; a flash flood warning now in effect. Internet is spotty today, makes trying to post a test of my character!
I apologize for not getting to visit your blogs this week, hopefully this week will be better.
This week we’re looking for Starts with O, Week’s Favorite, and Eyes.
O is for Overcast sky.
My Week’s Favorite (the only picture I’ve taken this week) is the Encore Azalea.
These were the first Eyes that came to mind–a Cooper’s Hawk–who keeps an eye on the backyard birds.
Friday’s Hunt v2.10
This week we are hunting things that Start with J, Week’s Favorite, and Surprise.
Jet–Starts with J
Week’s Favorite–Clouded Sulphur butterfly
Surprised to see so much fungi on this trunk.
Share Your World
Apparently, I slept through Monday. Well, not really, but with what I accomplished, one might think so. I switched to Zyrtec for late summer/fall allergies, forgetting the drowsiness it causes. Now I realize that’s why I was so sluggish last week!
Here are Cee’s questions; I hope you’ll share your answers, too.
List 2 things you have to be happy about.
First, I’m happy to have figured out my slo-mo problem is nothing more than a side effect, and second, that the lady who pulled out in front of me the other day made it safely to another lane.
If you could take a photograph, paint a picture or write a story of any place in the world, what and where would it be?
So many wonderfully inspiring places from which to choose…I think a cabin in the woods on a mountain near a water source.
Should children be seen and not heard?
It depends on the circumstances. Of course there are times we should all be silent/reverent, but from my experience, children are wonderful sources of humor and wisdom, and should be allowed to be children.
List at least five of your favorite first names.
Those would be the names that show up on my phone as incoming texts.
Bonus question: What are you grateful for from last week, and what are you looking forward to in the week coming up?
I was grateful to celebrate another trip around the sun, Saturday’s employee-appreciation dinner at a lovely venue, and a visit to the botanical garden; looking forward to cooler temperatures and rain later this week. I’m getting lots of things cleaned up around the house.
Spider alert–below miniature roses
Good Fences #117
I’m sticking close to home this week. In fact, this is the “Fennel and Milkweed Jungle” in my backyard, viewed from a lawn chair. We’re ready for Black Swallowtail and Monarch butterflies and caterpillars! I’m sure the birds are looking forward to them, too – but for other reasons.
Hope you have a great weekend! It’s Father’s Day weekend here in the U.S., thankful for all the dads. Where would we be without them?
Friday’s Hunt v1.23: W, Week’s Favorite, Rough
Willy Nilly Friday 5 #85
Today’s Flowers #411
Skywatch Friday 2 June 2016 Edition
1. Welcome Home!
2. My favorite this week is a late-blooming Rhododendron. Half a shrub survives after a limb fell from the oak and took out the other half.
3. Ms. Mallard doesn’t seem to mind the rough old platform feeder.
4. Fledglings are showing up at the feeders and birdbaths.
5. Sky shot from a previous visit to Mt. Trashmore.
Willy Nilly Friday 5
1. It seems like forever since I’ve written a random post – and I don’t even know what this one is about, yet! Does that count as one thought?
2. We spent two days at Colonial Williamsburg last week, and walked over six miles each day – according to my Fitbit. I took very few photos, most of them were of the flower gardens and fences.
3. Last summer I bought a “succulent tile” at Lowe’s to put in an empty terra cotta container. This spring they have tiny yellow blossoms!
image from internet
4. It rained 2/3 of the past weekend. I haven’t taken any bird photos for days! A beautiful Blue Jay visited this afternoon. You’ll have to take my word for it. Where was my camera when I needed it! I am totally discombobulated! I will share the High Mallow, instead.
5. I’m really excited to go for my annual mammogram tomorrow! Then I’ll be totally discom-boob-ulated. Have a happy day!
Saturday, and Catching up for the Week.
Apparently too soon, I thought life was back to normal. Hubby took off a couple of days this week. His original plans changed from a WV trip to working around the house and yard. Today, I’m combining Good Fences, Willy Nilly Friday 5, Random 5 Friday, Friday’s Hunt, and Today’s Flowers. I look forward to visiting you very soon!
I apologize for the wonky format. I thought switching to the WordPress new editor would help straighten it out, but it didn’t. It’s taken all afternoon to get this written, not inclined to start over.
Friday’s Hunt v1.20 features Starts with T, Week’s Favorite, and Evening.
T is for the Tiny bunny we saw on our walk.
My Week’s Favorite features a Good Fence.
Evening on the water. Randomness: 1. Thursday, hubby joined me in a six-mile hike at First Landing State Park. It was 70 degrees with a light breeze – perfect hiking weather. 2. Friday we worked on defining the flower bed with edging until it rained, then we came inside where he worked on the downstairs bathroom. I’m delighted to see the border on the wall!
3. Our wildflower garden is springing to life.
Catmint in the front, Bearded Iris in the back, overshadowed by the Loropetalum. 4. My Fitbit Charge’s band separated and I’m replacing it with a Fitbit Blaze – and it came today! Now I need to get busy and put some steps on it. I’ve been without it for 3.5 days, so what should have looked like a really good week won’t show up on my weekly report. <insert whining> 5. My assistance is needed in the backyard. Have a great weekend!